14 Habits to Live a Wonderful Life
- Gina V
Positive habits are powerful tools. They allow you to accomplish meaningful tasks with little thought or motivation required. With the right set of habits, you can accomplish nearly anything and be on autopilot much of the time.
Those people that put forth herculean effort are admired by our society. We love the runner that crawls the last mile of a marathon. However, a surer path to success is to do the necessary things each and every day. A little each day adds up to a lot.
“And once you understand that habits can change, you have the freedom and the responsibility to remake them.”Charles Duhigg
First of all, let us find out what is a habit and how can we increase our positive habits.
A habit is repetitive practice which most of the time is hard to give up. This can be positive or negative. It is vital for each of us to develop positive habits that empowers us to live the life we want. Due to stress we tend to develop more negative habits without even realizing.
Analise your habits and see which one you would like to change.
Maybe you have a habit of spending unnecessary money; or you are not having enough exercises. Or you might just think that you cannot make it, no matter what the problem is. Anything can be a negative habit.
How to change your habits
There is no magical formula to change your habits.
It is not enough to say: “I’m going to change this from today; or I will start doing this from today”- whatever it is, starting to run, starting a diet, starting a business. It takes time but only with practice and perseverance you will manage.
Habits influence your life
Let us see how your habits influence the quality of your life:
- Save money. Financial challenges are among the most common stressors in our society. A tendency to save, rather than spend, can prevent a lot of anxiety. Imagine how much easier your life could be if you always had enough money in the bank and you do not have to live from paycheck to paycheck. Having money in your bank account give you financial freedom and you can plan further ahead. Learning to save is also a lesson of self-control which might be a good example for your family.
- Exercise. You are stuck with the body you were born with. It only makes sense to take good care of it. It is known that physical activities improve your memory and brain functions, reducing your risk of developing anxiety, depression, and dropping your stress. Moreover, exercises can help you with losing weight by supporting a fast metabolism and burning calories. By exercising regularly, you are building muscles and lose weight. You might say that you are feeling tired after some exercises, but in time, actually your energy levels increase. Lack of exercise is a primary cause for multiple disease like diabetes, heart disease, and mental health as well.
Thirty minutes of exercise each day will boost your health and make you feel better
3. Get enough sleep but wake up early. Only you know exactly how much sleep you need, but it is probably more than you are getting on a regular basis. It is also important to start your day early and get off to a good start. This might seem contradictory, but it simply means that you need to go to bed earlier. Due to my work, I have learnt to wake up early. Every morning at 5am I am awake and most of the time I start my small and endless jobs at home. today for example, by 9am, I had two washes hanged outside, one meal ready and the living room and the kitchen cleaned.
I tend to get tired early, so my bedtime is about 10pm. However, it was a time when falling asleep was the worst period of the night. I was not getting enough sleep or I was waking up tired.
Essential oils and sleep
Than somebody recommended me Lavender oil and Serenity Essential Oil. I use few drops in the diffuser and started about an hour before I go to bed. I stopped using and electronic devices on this hour and also I stopped drinking coffee after 12 o’clock.
After about a week using this method, I sleep like a baby and wake up full of energy.
And trust me, I do not have to count sheep to fall asleep. I do get all four stages of sleep and I do wake up rejuvenated and well-rested the next morning.
How important is water in your life
Drinking plenty of water each day makes good sense
Drink more water. Your body is composed primarily of water. A human adult body is up to 60% water, mainly being deposited in your tissue.
Five of the most important benefits of drinking water are:
- Increases energy and relives fatigue. According to H.H. Mitchell (Journal of Biological Chemistry 158), 73% of the water is found it in the brain and heart which means that drinking water helps you to focus and concentrate better and be more alert.
- Promotes weight loss. This is a fact experimented by me. It really works it reduces the eating intake, reduces the hunger, and has zero calories.
- Flushes out toxins through urination and sweat- you might think that there is a detriment; but this prevents urinary tract infections and kidney problems.
- Improves skin complexion: it keeps your skin soft, fresh, and glowing. Drinking water is the best anti-ageing treatment.
- Maintains regularity. Water is essential indigestion and prevents constipation.
Meditation has survived for thousands of years and has never been more popular. It is a form of mind-body complementary medicine and it contributes positively to both your mental and physical health. It can be practice while you are walking, in the bus or waiting for an appointment.
A daily meditation practice can reduce stress and bring you peace and serenity
I personally practice meditation every day, no matter if I am home, writing for the blog or if I am in hospital, working on a busy ward.
Be choosy about the people you allow into your life
“You’re the average of the five people that you spend the most time with”Jim Rohn- self-help guru
People have the power to elevate your life or to destroy it. For example, if you have happy friends around you, you will be happy as well; contrary, if you have miserable people around you, your life will be miserable. Let me give you an example from my experience: working in hospital is not easy. I have days when my co-workers start their shift by complaining of tiredness, or how difficult this job is. And I am telling you that I will feel starting tired, or the day will be even more difficult. Instead, on a day when my colleagues are coming to work happy, thinking positive about the shift, that day will pass quicker, and it will be much easier for all of us.
Friends’ influence on your life
You have an option to choose your friends:
Be choosy about the activities you allow into your life.
“Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
Leo Buscaglia (1924-1998, author and motivational speaker)
Spending your time on activities that matter to you brings greater meaning and fulfilment into your everyday life.
Follow the 80/20 rule
This rule comes from investment and means that 80% of the outcome comes from 20% income. Some actions are a lot more effective than others. Determine which actions produce the most positive results in your life and focus your efforts on doing more of those and less of the ones that do not add to your life.
Have a healthy breakfast
If you get up early and have a healthy breakfast, you are already ahead of most of the population. Furthermore, a good morning gives the best opportunity to have a good day. I always have breakfast, no matter what time I woke up. If you need some inspiration for your breakfast recipe, NHS has a site dedicated to people who hate breakfast.
Learn to priorities
Know your priorities for the day
Hit the ground running by knowing exactly what you need to accomplish for the day. Make your “To-Do” list. To make it easier, find your most productive period of the day and schedule your urgent tasks for the period. Than one by one you can do the other tasks according to their importance. You will get more done and have to make fewer decisions during the day.
Review your goals
Write down your goals and the main reasons behind these goals. Everyday write down the progess you made on each goal to analyse whether you are on-track or off-track. Keep your mind focused on your goals by reviewing them for a few minutes each day.
How to change your habits
Few small steps to help you change your habits today
Spend time in nature.
Take a walk in the woods. A study from the University of Michigan revealed that people who took a walk in the nature achieved 20% better results on a memory test. Sit in the park and breathe some fresh air. Ride your bike down a country road. Get away from people and spend some time with the plants, trees, and animals.
Practicing gratitude each day can help to prevent stress and depression. Reminding yourself that there are good things in your life brings your focus onto what is great about your life – and attracts more of the same. For better results, keep a diary. This way, when you have a bad day and you can always go back to the diary and read all the good things that happen to you.
Have a morning routine
An established morning routine can save time and get your day off to a strong start.
Take a few minutes and consider your goals and current challenges. What are a few habits that would be extremely helpful to have? Ask yourself what would happen if you engaged in those habits regularly.
It is easy to see how much influence positive, effective habits can have on your life. Choose habits that support your dreams, and you will live the life you desire.
For more positive thoughts and methods to change your habits, also read Shake Up Your Life and Change Your Own Perspective.